A brief aside

In spite of the lag since my last post, I have indeed been writing for the blog. However, while I'm excited about some of the content I've been developing, I'm uncomfortable with its tone. As I've gone back and edited the posts that I've been preparing, they have seemed far too preachy and absolutist. Generally speaking, I'm becoming less and less of a moralist, hesitating to use the language of "ought" and "should" in regards to almost any issue. I'd much rather share my perspective in the hopes that my contribution to a larger conversation will eventually lead to wise, good, and beautiful intentions and actions. That can only happen in open dialogue, and moralism easily tends to reduce itself to tired monologues which bear little fruit.

So, for those of you kind enough to check in every now and again, I apologize for having nothing lately to share.  The next post, which will hopefully be up in a couple of days, will be about the central importance of community rememberers in the local economy. The gist is that if we are to return to and strengthen small-scale economic structures which interact with non-human nature as a norm, which value diversity at the local level, and which inter-depend on long-term relationships, then we need to place greater priority on the informal role of members of the community with broad knowledge of local histories, family relationships, and land uses.

More to come.

. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to A brief aside

  1. Erin says:

    I shall eagerly await the next post. Good to see you this weekend. You are a natural with the little one. Loves her Uncle! :)

Leave a Reply