On hard-fought blessings

Jacob is one of those early Biblical characters, one of the Patriarchs (a loaded term, I know), with whom I rarely identify. So many of his words, choices, motivations, and attitudes seem hollow and insincere. But this morning I find myself right in the middle of one of his most storied frustrations, identifying with the hunger that animated two of the most well-known incidents in his life (Genesis 27Genesis 32:22-31). Jacob, more than anything else, yearned to be blessed. He was so blinded by this craving that he deceived for a blessing, and believed that a blessing had to be wrestled away from anyone who may grant it. It is with this that I identify - the frustration that a blessing seems difficult to come by.

Jacob was willing to trick his father and betray his brother to receive it. He wrestled with an angel, some theologians say a theophany, boxing with Heaven to receive it. Why must it be that in order to receive goodness from those whom we love we must hide who we really are from them? Why must it be that we stumble through the world, occasionally colliding with the sacred, the eternal, the heavenly, and feel as though we must struggle with it to receive a benediction? Why must it be so hard to sense that Life, God, and neighbor are on our side for being nothing more or less than our authentic selves, instead of who we pretend to be or how well we put up a fight?

I cannot change the conditions I must meet for others to bless me, but I can change my conditions for them. I can become mindful of the moments when others let down their guards, revealing a vulnerable spirit, and I can bless them in that instant. I can take note of those seasons when people around me are too weak to contend for anyone's approval, and I can bless them in that instant. Whether or not others may require me to become someone else or to do battle in order to receive their approval, I do not have to create more Jacobs but can instead become someone who shares my blessing generously, liberally, enthusiastically with those who have no mask to wear and no more strength to fight (Matthew 5:3-10).

. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to On hard-fought blessings

  1. Erin says:

    Your posts make me think.

  2. I love when you lay something out there for me that hits me right between the eyes. The line "when people around me are too weak to contend for anyone's approval" convicted me. I discovered that, on occasion, I set conditions for my "blessing". I will work on that. Thanks.

Leave a Reply